Adam Guerrero, a math teacher at Raleigh-Egypt High School in Memphis, TN., has a garden that he nourishes and cultivates alongside three of his students. But because the garden isn’t, according to some neighbors, as appealing to the eye as a lawn, he is being ordered to take it out. But what a shame!
In true homesteader fashion, Guerrero is using every inch of his property to produce food. And not only that, he is teaching some kids the value of growing your own food, self-reliance and some great lessons about health. It is truly frustrating to think that something so beneficial and so beautiful can be taken away from this community because it is being deemed an eyesore. So here is what you can do to help!
1. Write to Judge Larry Potter at email@example.com in support of Adam Guerrero’s garden. Please be respectful. You are an ambassador for the kitchen garden cause.
2. Join the Facebook page called “Save Adam Guerrero’s Garden,” where you can show your support and receive updates about his case.
3. Sing your outrage from rooftops on Twitter using the #WarOnGardens hashtag.
4. Sign an online petition at change.org in support of the garden, which will be sent to the judge hearing Guerrero’s case.
5. Share and watch this video online.